Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Extracting Chlorine and Oxygen from Brine

CAUTION: Chlorine is toxic.  No breathing it in please.

Today I’ll explain how to extract chlorine gas and hydrogen gas from brine using a process knows as electrolysis.  You will need brine, a battery and 2 carbon electrodes (these can be pulled out from pencils).  Set up your battery and electrodes and making sure the anode and cathode (that’s the positive and negetive terminals) don’t touch, insert them into a saturated brine solution.




From your cathode(-) you’ll see hydrogen gas bubbling away, and chlorine from the anode(+).  Sodium and Hydroxide ions are left beind in the brine solution, which will combine slowly turning your sodium chloride solution into sodium hydroxide.  Chlorine might react with the newly formed sodium hydroxide producing a contamination of sodium chlorate.

Equasion for this reaction: 2NaCl + 2H2O => H2 + Cl2 + 2NaOH

39 comments:

  1. hey could you do a segment on how to synthesize JWH 018? thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks never been good with chemestry! :d supprtin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll breathe in whatever I wanna do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice, very interesting. science is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you should wear a gas mask when doing this? O.o

    ReplyDelete
  6. 9/7 Showing love. I have a new post!

    http://musclemaniamadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to see you're beating inertia today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. im about to try this right now, thanks bro

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you god, knowing these things? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like fun could be had, but safety first as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Safety can go to hell, bro. Lets bring on the toxic gasses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. is it okay to use sunglasses instead of safety goggles?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Niice :o I feel like a scientist now xD

    ReplyDelete
  14. then.. will i be able to extract hydrogen from the ammonia in my pee??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice blog.
    Supporting
    saci-cu-bani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! awesome blog! Definitely following you :D. Check out my blog when ya can. http://funkinme.blogspot.com/
    peace
    nish

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting. Don't think I would try it myself though, I have had bad experiences with chlorine in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool story bro. Showing support!

    http://the-state-of-human-intelligence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chemistry is my fav subject. totally gonna be a chemical engineer :3

    http://colinstjohn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. COOL SHIT NGA

    9/8 Support.

    Please read my new post! IMPORTANT!

    http://musclemaniamadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you please teach me how to create MDMA with household items?
    I'd appreciate it so much <3

    Supportin you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yep, science still scares me. Can't religion solve all our problems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Why am I doing this though??? Your recipes definitely trump mine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. liking this blog more and more, keep it up bromosapien

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never thought of it that way... interesting

    ReplyDelete
  26. I decided to use Nitrogen instead of Hydrogen cause they sound similar, is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  27. hey could you do a segment on how to synthesize JWH 018? thanks
    Potassium Chlorate

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing...
    o2 drops

    ReplyDelete